Thursday 14 October 2010

WINOL

Having watched the most recent news bulletin broadcast on WINOL, I was overall very impressed and excited at the prospect that I will able to contribute to something similar in my second year...

One of my first impressions was how professional the whole bulletin looked. I especially liked the way the camera would cross over to footage of the story that was being spoken about at the time. For example, when the story regarding students being refused entry to nightclubs was on, it crossed over to some footage of a local nightclub in Winchester. This reminded me of the techniques used in National news.
The use of interviews was really effective too, I liked the use of statements and in particular the one taken from Steve Brine, where moving images were placed in the background. Some people can think it deters the attention away from the text, but I actually thought this worked really well.

However, there were some areas I felt that could have been improved. In some areas during the footage, the sound quality was quite low meaning it was difficult for me to fully understand what was being said by the commentator. An example of this was during the Sport section covering Bath Spa. This footage in particular made the commentator become really unclear.
Other than that, I found the bulletin very entertaining and I felt that it appealed to students. The stories were of interest and were covered in a professional. I also like the use of two presenters. This makes a subtle change of voice which works well when moving to a different area of news, in this case Sport.

Watching the video has made me excited about participating in this next year! Well done!

2 comments:

  1. Great to have your feedback on Winol - it's incredibly useful for the second and third years to hear what the audience thinks of the bulletin.

    Good analysis - but next time try to dig a bit deeper and look at the VTs in more detail. This link to the BBC College of Journalism gives you a quick guide to the terminology used in TV:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/journalism/skills/writing-styles/

    ReplyDelete