Thursday 4 November 2010

A Visit To Winchester Law Courts...

I have to say that I really underestimated how amazing observing a court case would really be. I have never been inside a court room before and as far as the room goes, it was exactly what I was expecting. The judge, individuals in the press box scribbling furiously, the jury and of course the individuals accused were give or take a few features, what I was expecting to see.  However what I did not expect, was the feeling I felt when listening to the shocking details of a murder trial.

It almost seemed surreal sitting in the presence of people who were accused of such a crime and actually being able to hear first hand of the questions being asked and the individuals responses to these. It dawned on me how difficult it must be to be asked to become a member of the jury service, and as I looked around the room I could see how so many of them were writing very fast trying to capture every detail. I also realised how (for want of a better word) 'normal' these people were. They were all dressed in normal clothes, drinking water and listening intensively, I suddenly considered that perhaps one day that could be me.

On television, you often see clips from court trials, perhaps in soap operas and various other shows of a similar nature and what I found interesting was observing whether the people involved in the court case behaved and spoke how they often get portrayed. To some extent they do, the clear cut voices of the prosecutor and how they wear curly, white wigs and it has to be said on some occasions they can seem intimidating. However, the judge spoke (although clearly) very calmly and at times often asked the individual within the box if they felt okay to continue. This is something that perhaps television neglects to show. When I first entered the public gallery, I felt unsure where to look but as the case went on, I relaxed slightly and really began to appreciate how fascinating it really is. It may sound slightly odd but I would love to go again and watch a case for the whole duration as I think the experience I had was one I will not forget for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment